Monarchs Blank Howard 7-0 In Men's Tennis
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 28, 2008
Norfolk, Va. - The Old Dominion University men's tennis team improved to 6-2 on the season following a 7-0 win over a short-handed squad from Howard University.
With only four active players on the roster, the Bison fielded just two doubles teams and the Monarchs cruised to an 8-2 win in No. 1 doubles and an 8-1 win at No. 2 doubles.
Playing just four singles matches, ODU did not drop a set as all four Monarchs made easy work of their opponent. Ryan Wiggins had possibly the most dominating performance at the No. 4 position as he defeated Amato Nocera 6-0, 6-1. Timo Gehrke, Dan Couzens and Matt King also earned singles victories on the day.
The Monarchs return to the court on Saturday, Feb. 2 when they'll host the University of Oklahoma at noon.
OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY vs. HOWARD UNIVERSITY
1. Couzens/Gehrke (ODU) def. Brown/Murray (HU) 8-2
2. M. King/R. King (ODU) def. Avasthi/Nocera (HU) 8-1
3. ODU def. HU Def.
1. Timo Gehrke (ODU) def. Chris Brown (HU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Dan Couzens (ODU) def. Neilahb Avasthi (HU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Matt King (ODU) def. Armon Murray (HU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Ryan Wiggins (ODU) def. Amato Nocera (HU) 6-0, 6-1
5. ODU def. HU Def.
6. ODU def. HU Def.
FINAL SCORE: OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY 7, HOWARD UNIVERSITY 0