No. 49 Men's Tennis Defeated No. 67 William & Mary, 5-1
By ODU Athletics
April 6, 2006
NEWPORT NEWS, VA - The Old Dominion men's tennis team keeps rolling as the 49th-ranked Monarchs defeated No. 67 William & Mary, 5-1, at Huntington Park on Thursday afternoon. The win improves the Monarchs to 22-7 overall and 3-1 in the CAA as the Monarchs have won nine straight.
The afternoon started with the Monarchs taking the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. CAA Doubles Team of the Week, Harel Srugo and Alex Seleznev defeated Billy Mulligan and Colin O'Brien, 8-5, at the top spot, while at No. 2 doubles, Henrique Cancado and Eidy Igarashi posted an 8-3 victory over Alex Cojanu and Stephen Ward.
In singles, after William & Mary took the first win at No. 6 singles, Old Dominion fired off five straight victories. The victories started with Seleznev at No. 4 singles as he started the rally with a 6-3, 6-2 win over the Tribes' Dominic Pagaon. No. 28 Harel Srugo followed as he defeated Colin O'Brien, 6-3, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. ODU's third point of the afternoon came from the racket of No. 87 Eidy Igarashi at No. 3 singles. After falling in the first set 6-0, Igarashi went on to win the next two sets, 6-2, 6-2, for the victory. Rodrigo Souza also came from behind to pick up another Monarch point. Souza fell behind, 5-7, in his No. 5 singles match against William & Mary's Alexander Zuck, before taking sets two and three, 6-2, 6-4, for the win. Henrique Cancado's match at No. 2 singles versus Stephen Ward was abandoned.
The Monarchs return to action on Saturday, April 8th when they host CAA newcomer Georgia State on the courts at Huntington Park.
#49 Old Dominion 5, #67 William and Mary 1
1. #28 Harel Srugo (ODU) d. Colin O'Brien; 6-3, 6-3
2. Stephen Ward (W&M) vs. Henrique Cancado; 6-2, 4-6, 4-3, dnf
3. #87 Eidy Igarashi (ODU) d. Alex Cojanu; 0-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) d. Dominic Pagon; 6-3, 6-2
5. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) d. Alexander Zuck; 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
6. Kavi Sud (W&M) d. Matthew Sands; 7-5, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 4, 1, 3, 5
1. Seleznev/Srugo (ODU) d. Billy Mulligan/O'Brien; 8-5
2. Cancado/Igarashi (ODU) d. Cojanu/Ward; 8-3
3. Pagon/Sud (W&M) d. Sands/Souza; 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1