Men's Tennis Falls To No. 68 New Mexico
March 21, 2008
Albuquerque, N.M. - The Old Dominion University men's tennis team returned to action on Thursday after more than a two week break, however the Monarchs (15-11) were unsuccessful in their return to the court falling to No. 68 New Mexico 4-1. This was the second time this season that the two teams had squared off, the first coming on March 1 when the Lobos defeated the Monarchs as part of the HEB Invitational.
The Lobos (11-6) captured the doubles point by winning at No. 1 and No. 2, but the Monarch duo of Matt Fawcett and Timo Gehrke were able to come away with an 8-5 victory at No. 3 over the New Mexico tandem of Graeme Kassautzki and Miles Bugby.
In singles action the Monarchs managed to win just one of the four matches that were completed, but that lone victory was very significant. Alex Seleznev earned his first win of the season over a ranked opponent as he won in straight sets over 47th ranked Max Jones 7-5, 6-1.
1. Jones/Pajkowski (UNM) def. Seleznev/Igarashi (ODU) 8-4
2. C. Parkes/J. Parkes (UNM) def. Fanselow/Souza (ODU) 8-3
3. Fawcett/Gehrke (ODU) def. Kassautzki/Bugby (UNM) 8-5
1. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) def. #47 Max Jones (UNM) 7-5, 6-1
2. Johnny Parkes (UNM) vs. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) 6-2, 4-6, 2-3 DNF
3. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) def. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) 7-6, 6-0
4. Miles Bugby (UNM) vs. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) 4-6, 6-1, 3-4 DNF
5. Chris Parkes (UNM) def. Matt Fawcett (ODU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
FINAL SCORE: New Mexico 4, ODU 1