Top Seeded Rams Defeat Men's Tennis In CAA Championship Match
By ODU Athletics
April 25, 2004
WILLIAMSBURG, VA - Virginia Commonwealth's men's tennis team, ranked 11th in the nation, defeated No. 55 Old Dominion, 4-3 in the Colonial Athletic Association Final today at William and Mary's Busch Tennis Courts. The win gives the top-seeded Rams their ninth consecutive league title, having won the league every year since joining the conference for the 1996 season.
VCU's record improves to 24-3 this season, while the Monarchs, who were seeded third in the tournament, drop to 14-9.
The Rams started the match by winning the doubles point with victories on courts one and three. The first completed match was at No. 3, where Sergi Arumi and Francesc Lleal defeated Henrique Cancado and Adriano Mello, 8-2. In the top match, the Rams' Arnaud LeCloerec and Florian Marquardt broke the serve of the Monarchs' Nate Grover and Izak van der Merwe in the 10th game and went on to win the deciding contest, 8-5.
VCU took a 2-0 lead after Lleal defeated Grover, 6-1, 6-2, at No. 6 singles. ODU bounced back, winning at courts one and two to tie the score at 2-2. Zoltan Csanadi gave the Monarchs their first point, as he upset LeCloerec, the CAA Rookie of the Year and ranked 122nd in the nation, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2 singles. On court one, van der Merwe, the 2004 CAA Player of the Year and ranked 18th in the nation, defeated Pedro Nieto, the 2003 CAA Player of the Year and ranked 28th, 6-2, 6-4. The Rams went ahead 3-2 with a win on court four, as Marquardt defeated Cancado, 6-3, 6-4, before Arumi clinched VCU's championship with a 7-5, 6-4 win at No. 5 over Niklas Oskarssoon.
The victory gives the Rams an automatic berth into the 2004 NCAA Tournament, while the Monarchs must wait to see if they have earned an atl-large berth. The NCAA selections will be released the afternoon of Wednesday, May 5.
#15 William and Mary 4, #55 Old Dominion 2
Colonial Athletic Association Men's Tennis Tournament Final
1. #18 Izak van der Merwe (ODU) d. #28 Pedro Nieto (VCU); 6- 2, 6-4 (1:08)
2. Zoltan Csanadi (ODU) d. #122 Arnaud LeCloerec (VCU); 6-2, 6-2 (1:07)
3. Marton Ott (VCU) vs. Calin Milos (ODU); suspended
4. Florian Marquardt (VCU) d. Henrique Cancado (ODU); 6-3, 6- 4 (1:15)
5. Sergi Arumi (VCU) d. Niklas Oskarsson (ODU); 7-5, 6-4 (1:45)
6. Francesc Lleal (VCU) d. Nate Grover (ODU); 6-1, 6-2 (0:46)
Order of finish: 6, 2, 1, 4, 5
1. LeCloerec/Marquardt (VCU) d. Grover/van der Merwe (ODU); 8-5 (0:50)
2. Nieto/Ott (VCU) vs. Csanadi/Milos (ODU); suspended
3. Arumi/Lleal (VCU) d. Cancado/Adriano Mello (ODU); 8-2 (0:46)
Order of finish, 3, 1
(Time of each match in parentheses)