Men's Tennis Falls To No. 10 Virginia
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 27, 2005
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- The No. 10 ranked Virginia men's tennis team opened the 2005 dual match season with a 7-0 win over No. 59 Old Dominion Wednesday night at the Boar's Head Sports Club. It marked the third consecutive season that the Cavaliers have won their first match of the season and the first loss for the Monarchs this season.
The Cavaliers (1-0) opened sweeping the doubles matches for a 1-0 lead. The team of Darrin Cohen and Treat Huey earned an 8-3 win at No. 3 doubles over Herique Cancado (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) and Adriano Mello (Londrina, Brazil). Then, in a battle of nationally ranked duos, the No. 19 ranked Cavalier team of Rylan Rizza and Nick Meythaler defeated ODU's No. 38 ranked Monarch team of Izak van der Merwe (Kempton Park, South Africa) and Nate Grover (Suffolk, Va.). The Virginia team of Doug Stewart and Eric Riley completed the sweep with a tiebreaker win at No. 2 against Eidy Igarashi (Sao Jose do Rio Preto, Brazil) and Rodrigo Souza (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil).
Virginia swept all six matches, five in straight sets. Four of the Cavalier's six singles athletes are currently ranked by the ITA. Meythaler and Cohen scored quick wins at No. 6 and No. 5 singles to make the score 3-0 over Rodrigo Souza and Juliano Cirimbelli (Balneario Camboriu, Brazil) respectively. Huey clinched the match with his win at No. 4 edging out Adriano Mello, 6-2, 6-2.
The final match on the courts was the featured match of the night, pitting two top-20 players. No. 19 ranked Stewart dropped the first set to No. 7 ranked Izak van der Merwe but rallied to win the second set in a tiebreaker. In the superbreaker, van der Merwe took a 9-6 lead, but Stewart fought off those three match points and won the final five points of the match to win the breaker 11-9 to win the match.
The No. 59 Monarchs return to action against its second straight top ten opponent when they travel to No. 9 Duke on Friday.
1. #19 Rizza/Meythaler (UVa) def. #38 Grover/van der Merwe
2. Stewart/Riley (UVa) def. Souza/Igarashi (ODU) 9-8
3. Cohen/Huey (UVa) def. Cancado/Mello (ODU) 8-3
1. #19 Doug Stewart (UVa) def. #7 Izak van der Merwe (ODU)
2-6, 7-6, 11-9
2. #36 Rylan Rizza (UVa) def. Henrique Cancado (ODU) 6-2, 6-4
3. #63 Marko Miklo (UVa) def. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) 6-4, 6-2
4. #104 Treat Huey (UVa) def. Adriano Mello (ODU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Darrin Cohen (UVa) def. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Nick Meythaler (UVa) def. Juliano Cirimbelli (ODU) 6-1, 6-1