Men's Tennis Nipped by #64 UNC Wilmington, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
March 29, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- The Old Dominion University men's tennis team lost a tight 4-3 contest against the nationally ranked UNC Wilmington Seahawks (11-5, 2-1 CAA) on Sunday, falling to 13-8 overall and 1-3 in the conference.
The two teams split the first two doubles matches, leading to a dramatic match at No. 3 doubles. Albert Ochagavia and Fahoum Fahoum battled for the Monarchs, but fell in the tiebreaker, 9-8 (7) to Chris Cooprider and Michael Pereira, awarding UNCW the doubles point.
In singles action, ODU would win three matches, including wins at both top slots from Tobias Fanselow and Benjamin Chomette. Fanselow improved to 18-3 in duals at the No. 1 position with a 6-4, 7-5 victory over UNCW's Pereira; Chomette followed with a straight set win at No. 2 over Kinshuk Sharma, 6-3, 6-2.
Fahoum also won his singles match at No. 6, defeating Alex Wetherell, 6-3, 6-2, but the Seahawks would seal the win with victories at No. 3, 4 and 5 singles.
Old Dominion will face Delaware in their final CAA regular season match this Wednesday, March 31 at 2:00 p.m.
OLD DOMINION vs. #64 UNC WILMINGTON
1. Sharma/Hirsch (UNCW) def. Fanselow/Chomette (ODU); 8-3
2. Muzalewski/Diskin (ODU) def. Blank/Ziamatsou (UNCW); 8-6
3. Cooprider/Periera (UNCW) def. Ochagavia/Fahoum (ODU); 9-8(7)
1. Tobias Fanselow (ODU) def. Michael Periera (UNCW); 6-4, 7-5
2. Benjamin Chomette (ODU) def. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW); 6-3, 6-2
3. Illia Ziamatsou (UNCW) def. Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU); 6-1, 6-2
4. Kosta Blank (UNCW) def. Yakov Diskin (ODU); 6-4, 7-5
5. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) def. Albert Ochagavia (ODU); 4-6,7-6(2), 6-1
6. Fahoum Fahoum (ODU) def. Alex Wetherell (UNCW) 6-2, 6-2
FINAL SCORE: #64 UNC Wilmington 4, ODU 3