No. 55 Men's Tennis Edged Out By No. 26 Wake Forest, 5-2
Feb. 4, 2007
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- The No. 55 Old Dominion men's tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 26 Wake Forest on Sunday afternoon at the Wake Forest University Indoor Tennis Center.
The loss drops the Monarchs to 1-2 overall, with both losses coming at the hands of teams ranked in the ITA Poll. The Demon Deacons meanwhile improved to a pefect 5-0.
Old Dominion earned points from doubles victories by the teams of No. 6 Harel Srugo/Henrique Cancado and Alex Seleznev/Eidy Igarashi and Seleznev's singles at the No. 4 spot.
Srugo (Kibutz Gazit, Israel) and Cancado (Belo Horizonte, Brazil), the nation's sixth ranked doubles team posted an 8-4 win over Wake's Todd Paul and Mariusz Adamski at No. 1 doubles. The point then came down to the No. 2 doubles match after the Monarchs fell at No. 3 doubles. Seleznev (Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic) and Igarashi (São José do Rio Preto, Brazil) edged out Cory Parr and Charles Sartor, 9-8, to earn the point.
Seleznev captured the lone singles point with his come from behind victory over Andrew Hamar. Seleznev fell 6-1 in the first set before racking up 6-2, 7-5 win in the following sets for the win.
In a battle of two of the nation's top singles players at No. 1 singles, No. 7 Harel Srugo fell was defeated, 6-2, 6-3.
The Monarchs return to action against Michigan State in Williamsburg, on Saturday, February 10th.
#26 Wake Forest 5, #55 Old Dominion 2
1. Harel Srugo/Henrique Cancado (ODU) def. Todd Paul/Mariusz Adamski (WF) 8-4
2. Alex Seleznev/Eidy Igarashi (ODU) def. Cory Parr/Charles Sartor (WF) 9-8
3. Andrew Hamar/Steven Forman (WF) def. Rodrigo Souza/Yaha Dishin (ODU) 8-3
1. #4 Todd Paul (WF) def. #7 Harel Srugo (ODU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Cory Parr (WF) def. #18 Henrique Cancado (ODU) 7-6, 6-3
3. Alex Seleznev (ODU) def. Andrew Hamar (WF) 1-6, 6-2, 7-5
4. Mariusz Adamski (WF) def. Eidy Igarashi (ODU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Steven Forman (WF) def. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jason Morgenstern (WF) def. Yaha Dishin (ODU) 6-3, 6-2