Game One Preview: Old Dominion vs. Hampton
• The contest is sold out marking ODU’s 36th-straight sellout.
• ODU Head Coach Bobby Wilder is 46-14 in his five years in Norfolk. The former Maine offensive coordinator led ODU to FCS playoff berths in 2011 and 2012 along with a CAA Championship in 2012.
• Old Dominion will play a full Conference USA schedule for the first time in school history in just the sixth season since it restarted football in 2009. The Monarchs are eligible for the C-USA Championship and berth in the C-USA Championship game played on Saturday, Dec. 6.
• Eleven of 12 games will be televised this season, including the season opener Aug. 30 against Hampton. Four contests: vs. Hampton, at UTEP, vs. FIU and at FAU, will be broadcast by the Sinclair Broadcasting Group, which just signed a contract to televise Conference USA games. ODU’s game against Middle Tennessee will be broadcast nationally on Fox Sports 1 Friday, Sept. 26 at 8 p.m. It is the first Friday night game in school history.
• Senior quarterback Taylor Heinicke returns for his senior season for the Monarchs. Heinicke passed for 4,022 yards and 33 touchdowns as a junior after winning the Walter Payton Award as the top player in the FCS as a sophomore. He is one of just 18 Division I QB’s to pass for 10,000 yards and rush for 1,000 and was the first Division I quarterback in Virginia to pass for 10,000 or more career yards.
• Antonio Vaughan and Zach Pascal are the top-two returning receivers this year. Vaughan caught 60 passes for 843 yards and nine touchdowns while Pascal had 41 receptions for 534 yards and six touchdowns.
• ODU returns four of their top-five tacklers from a season ago in junior Fellonte Misher, 95 tackles, and senior captain, Andre Simmons, 78 tackles. The Monarchs also return No. 4 tackler in Richie Staton and No. 5 tackler in D.J. Simon.
• Hampton is led by first-year coach, Connell Maynor. Maynor comes to Hampton after four seasons at NCAA Division II Winston-Salem State. He led WSSU to a four-year record of 45-6, including three-straight playoff appearances and a berth in the 2012 championship game.
This is the fourth meeting between the two schools with ODU holding a 3-0 record. ODU won a storm-shortened 45-7 contest over Hampton in 2012.
TV Network: American Sports Network (ASN)
Play by Play: Mike Gleason
Color Analyst: Jim Donnan
Antenna – Ch. 33 & 33-1(HD)
Cox - Ch. 2 & 1002(HD)
FIOS - Ch.11 & 511(HD)
DirecTV - Ch. 33
Charter - Ch. 9 & 709(HD)
Radio Network: ESPN Radio 94.1 FM, Sports FM 100.5 (Richmond), WBRG 104.5 FM, 1050 AM (Lynchburg)
Play by Play: Ted Alexander
Color Analyst: Andy Mashaw
Sideline Reporter: Rich Radford
Pre-Game Host: Rick Kiefner
(Pre-game show starts one hour prior to kick)
Tailgate lots open – 11:30 a.m. - close two hours after game
Monarch Walk – Football team departs L.R. Hill at 1:10 PM; Arrival at
Kaufman Mall - 1:20 PM
Stadium Gates Open – 2 p.m.
Game Day Sponsor – Liberty Tax
Game Day Color – Wear Blue