ODU Defeats UVA, 5-2
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Old Dominion women’s tennis team (3-0) claimed victory in five of six singles matches as the Monarchs proved to be too much for the University of Virginia by a 5-2 score on Thursday night at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
"Today was great win for our program,” said ODU head coach Dominic Manilla. “We are looking to build on this and keep it going."
After dropping the doubles point, ODU received singles wins from Nataliia Vlasova, Yulia Starodubtseva (over No. 111 nationally ranked Meghan Kelley), Victoria Olivarez, Louie McLelland and Adriana Rajkovic to secure a win over in-state rival UVA in front of 172 fans in Charlottesville.
On Saturday, Jan. 20 at 1:00 p.m., the Monarchs will welcome SEC member Tennessee (0-0) to the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center. Admission for all home ODU matches is FREE.
Tennis Match Results
Old Dominion vs. Virginia
1/18/2018 at Charlottesville, Va.
(Boar's Head Sports Club)
Old Dominion 5, Virginia 2
- #48 Rosie Johanson (VA) def. Holly Hutchinson (ODU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- Nataliia Vlasova (ODU) def. Cassie Mercer (VA) 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
- Yulia Starodubtseva (ODU) def. #111 Meghan Kelley (VA) 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
- Victoria Olivarez (ODU) def. Chloe Gullickson (VA) 6-4, 6-3
- Louie McLelland (ODU) def. T. Radosavljevic (VA) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Adriana Rajkovic (ODU) def. Erica Susi (VA) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
- #14 Rosie Johanson/Meghan Kelley (VA) def. Holly Hutchinson/Yulia Starodubtseva (ODU) 6-3
- Cassie Mercer/T. Radosavljevic (VA) def. Victoria Olivarez/Nataliia Vlasova (ODU) 6-3
- Chloe Gullickson/Erica Susi (VA) def. Natalya Malenko/Adriana Rajkovic (ODU) 6-2
Old Dominion 3-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,4,2,6,5,3)
Tennessee is receiving votes in the latest ITA National Top 25 Poll released on Wednesday afternoon. Last season, in head coach Alison Ojeda’s first year with the team, the Volunteers had one of their most productive years in recent memory. They compiled a 19-12 overall record including a 16-6 record in matches played on their home or a neutral court. In addition, Ojeda led the Vols to nine shutout victories (most since 2003) and another six top-50 wins (only nine in previous three seasons combined). To end the season, Tennessee made their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2014 where they advanced to the second round. Tennessee is also home to the No. 44 nationally ranked doubles tandem in junior Sadie Hammond and freshman Tenika McGiffin.