No. 36 Tennis Monarchs Slam the Rams in 4-2 Win Over VCU
By ODU Athletics
NORFOLK, Va. – The No. 36 nationally ranked Old Dominion men’s tennis team (11-3) won four of five singles matches on its way to claiming a 4-2 win on Friday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis center.
“Rivalry matches are always special and it’s not a surprise it came down to the wire,” said ODU head coach Dominik Mueller. “We have a lot of respect for VCU, they have a rich college tennis tradition. We didn’t play well in some spots, but found a way to win. That’s something we can build on. It was a great comeback win.”
The Monarchs dropped the doubles point before No. 31 Adam Moundir, Jacob Nicolussi, Javier Jover Maestre and Justin Herrera all won their singles matches, lifting ODU to its third consecutive victory.
The Tennis Monarchs will be back in action this Sunday, March 19, when they host Brown at 9:00 a.m. at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
The Old Dominion tennis program honored Dr. Mohammad Najand as its Gameday Professor of the Match.
Dr. Najand is the chair of Finance Department at Strome College of Business. He joined the department of Finance in 1987. Professor Najand received his Ph.D. in Finance and M.A. in Economics from Syracuse University in 1988 and 1981, respectively. Dr. Najand is a passionate tennis fan.
Tennis Match Results
VCU vs. Old Dominion
Mar 17, 2017 at Norfolk, Va.
(Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center)
#36 Old Dominion 4, VCU 2
1. #31 Adam Moundir (ODU) def. Daryl Monfils (VCU) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
2. Michael Weindl (ODU) vs. Marten Jonsson (VCU) 6-7, 7-6, 1-2, unfinished
3. Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) def. Vitor Lima (VCU) 6-0, 7-5
4. Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Aziz Kijametovic (ODU) 7-6, 6-3
5. Javier Jover Maestre (ODU) def. Javier Amantegui (VCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Justin Herrera (ODU) def. Louis Ishizaka (VCU) 7-5, 7-6
1. Daryl Monfils/Marten Jonsson (VCU) def. #45 Adam Moundir/Jacob Nicolussi (ODU) 7-6 (7-4)
2. Aziz Kijametovic/Jose Nunez Navarro (ODU) vs. Philip Mobius/Javier Amantegui (VCU) 6-6, unfinished
3. Vitor Lima/Arvid Noren (VCU) def. Michael Weindl/Javier Jover Maestre (ODU) 6-4
Old Dominion 11-3; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,3,4,1,6)