On September 13, 2008, Old Dominion University officially opened the L.R. Hill Sports Complex, a 58,000 square foot facility that is the home to the nine-time NCAA championship Lady Monarch field hockey team.
Arguably one of the top field hockey facilities in the country, the first level houses a 6,000 square foot strength & conditioning area, a 3,000 square foot athletic training room, a players' lounge, and players' and coaches' lockerrooms. The second level houses the coaches' offices and staff meeting rooms.
The L.R. Hill Sports Complex includes:
- 1,500 permanent seats, with room for an additional 1,500 temporary / expansion seats,
- "Astro Turf 12," the most preferred playing surface by collegiate and professional players and coaches,
- A "water cannon" watering system,
- The latest in technology for scoreboards, the press box and field lighting,
- Concessions and restrooms,
- Easy access and parking for field hockey games and athletic camps.
- Offices, locker rooms, athletic training and strength training areas,
- Two-story terrazzo entrance lobby, that includes display areas,
- Outdoor second level balcony, suitable for entertaining, overlooking the field hockey stadium,
- Over 6,000 square feet for strength training, that includes the latest in fitness and weight equipment,
- Over 3,000 square feet for athletic training.