Foreman Field was named after Norfolk attorney A.H. Foreman, a member of William and Mary's board of visitors and one of the founders of the Norfolk Division of William & Mary, which later became Old Dominion University. Originally intended as the home of the Norfolk Division football program, it found new life as the home to other college and community sports programs when football was originally dropped in 1941. Built in 1936, with state and federal funds provided during the Great Depression, Foreman Field has underwent a $24.8 million dollar renovation in 2008-09 with the help of SB Ballard Construction Company and Clark Nexsen Architecture and Engineering.
The renovation to the game day home of the football Monarchs includes a new state-of-the-art game day building, field surface, scoreboard, sound system, field enclosure and a contiguous parking garage.
The Ainslie Football Complex features 26 luxury suites and 390 loge seats in 100 mini boxes, in addition to recruiting and hospitality facilities and game day locker rooms for Monarch student-athletes and coaches. Twelve of the suites have their own patio overlooking the plaza south of the complex, while the loge seating area also includes an 8,000 square foot covered patio on the second level of the facility. Another 7,500 square foot enclosed terrace looks directly out over the south end zone. The playing surface at Foreman Field has been replaced by Astroturf GameDay Grass 3D.
The stadium has been named SB Ballard Stadium at Foreman Field in honor of Stephen and B.J. Ballard and SB Construction, the company responsible for many on-campus construction projects, including Foreman Field. The Ainslie Football Complex, the new game-day building that houses concessions and suites, has been named for Jeffrey W. Ainslie ('83). The Alcaraz-Weinstein Family Plaza, the plaza entrance for the Monarch football team and fans, is in honor of the Gary Alcaraz ('84) and Lee Weinstein families.