Women's Tennis Loses Hard Fought Battle at No. 20 Georgia Tech
ATLANTA, Ga. – The Old Dominion University women’s tennis team fell in a hard fought battle, 4-0, to the No. 20 ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Saturday afternoon at the Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta, Ga.
Old Dominion’s head coach, Dom Manilla discussed his team’s performance, “Today’s loss was a heartbreaker. We pushed a top-20 team back on their heels and we nearly stole it from them. The competitive scores from our freshmen, as well as solid play at the top from sophomore, Nikol, shows the progress our program has made over the past two seasons. Our team senses how close they are to being a very special group at ODU. We will keep working hard at improving every week. We are anxious for our upcoming home match against Maryland!”
In singles action, ODU’s Nikol Hristova took the first set the Yellow Jacket’s No. 1 Kendal Woodard, 6-3, before eventually losing gut-wrenching third set tiebreaker, 10-8.
Ingrid Vojcinakova was in control of her match before it was called off due to the clinch-rule, as she won the first set 6-3 and was leading the second set 3-2.
Also picking up a set against the nationally ranked Yellow Jackets was Nika Khmolovska, who won the first set easily, 6-1, and then was leading the second set 5-1, before the clinch rule came into effect.
1. Kendal Woodard (GT) d. Nikol Hristova (ODU), 3-6, 6-1, (10-8)
2. Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) uf. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT), 6-3, 3-2
3. Megan Kurey (GT) d. Ivana Vukovic (ODU), 6-1, 6-3
4. Nika Khmolovska (ODU) uf Rasheeda McAdoo (GT), 6-2, 5-2
5. Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer uf. Marijana Novakovic (ODU), 6-3, 4-1
6. Muriel Wacker (GT) d. Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU), 6-0, 6-1
1. No. 4 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) d. Nikol Hristova/Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU), 6-2
2. Ingrid Vojcinakova/Marijana Novakovic (ODU) uf. Rasheeda McAdoo/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT), 5-3
3. Muriel Wacker/Alexa Anton-Ohlmeyer (GT) d. Nika Khomolovska/Ivana Vukovic (ODU), 6-1
Next Up for the Lady Monarchs
The Lady Tennis Monarchs will return home to the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center on Friday, February 7, when they will have a showdown with regional foe, Maryland at 1:00 p.m.
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Women’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUWomensTennis on Twitter!