Four ODU Golf Standouts Named To CAA's 25th Anniversary Team
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 8, 2010
RICHMOND, Va. (January 8, 2010) -The Colonial Athletic Association has announced its men's golf Silver Anniversary team, which includes 14 former CAA Players of the Year, numerous All-Region honorees and a pair of All-America selections. Four Monarch standouts were selected. They were Michael Hospodar ('02), Stan Guerrero ('08), Geoffrey Harris ('06) and current Monarch Eric Onesi ('10).
As part of its 25th Anniversary celebration in 2009-10, the CAA is recognizing Silver Anniversary teams in 21 championship sports. The teams were selected by a panel of current and former coaches in the conference.
Members of the CAA Silver Anniversary team for men's golf are:
Derek Brown (UNC Wilmington), Ted Brown (VCU), Jeff Castle (Towson), Josh Dickinson (East Carolina), Rob Gai (Richmond), Adam Gee (UNC Wilmington), Stan Guerrero (Old Dominion), Mark Haastrup (Georgia State), Geoffrey Harris (Old Dominion), Michael Hospodar (Old Dominion), Steve Jamroz (Richmond), Donny Lee (VCU), John Maginnes (East Carolina), Craig Mason (George Mason), John McHenry (William and Mary), Reg Millage (VCU), Eric Onesi (Old Dominion), Brent Paladino (William and Mary), Tim Pemberton (William and Mary), John Rollins (VCU), Rob Shawger (Richmond), Tom Sherreard (Georgia State), Joel Sjoholm (Georgia State), Billy Wingerd (Towson) and Jay Woodson (James Madison).
Men's golf has been a championship sport in the CAA since the league's inception in 1985. The first decade was dominated by East Carolina and Richmond, with the Pirates winning seven CAA titles - including five straight from 1990-94 - and the Spiders taking home three league crowns (1986, 1989 and 1995). VCU entered the CAA in 1996 and proceeded to capture seven consecutive CAA championships (1996-2002). The Rams earned their eighth title in 2009. During the past decade, Georgia State (2006, 2008), UNC Wilmington (2004, 2005) and Old Dominion (2003, 2007) have each won a pair of CAA championships.
The conference has had multiple teams selected to participate in the NCAA Golf Regionals 12 times since 1991. Three teams have advanced to the NCAA Golf Championship - Richmond in 1999, VCU in 2002 and Georgia State in 2007. Three individuals have also competed in the NCAA Championship - VCU's Reg Millage in 2000, VCU's Ted Brown in 2003 and Georgia State's Joel Sjoholm in 2008, when he finished in a tie for 13th overall.
More extensive biographies of the members of the Silver Anniversary team are included below. Photos and a video of the anniversary team are available at http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=204865504
CAA Men's Golf 25th Anniversary Team
Derek Brown - UNC Wilmington - 2000-04 - Walnut Cove, N.C.
· Four-time All-CAA selection who earned 1st team honors in 2001, 2003 and 2004
· UNCW's all-time leader in stroke average at 73.42
· Recorded 22 top-10 finishes, which is the most in school history
Ted Brown - VCU - 1999-2003 - Peterborough, Pa.
· Three-time All-CAA honoree who was the medalist at the 2002 CAA Championship
· Competed in the NCAA Golf Championship in 2002 and 2003
· Helped lead the Rams to three consecutive CAA titles (2000-02)
Jeff Castle - Towson - 2003-07 - Ellicott City, Md.
· Selected as the CAA Player of the Year in 2005 and 2006
· Earned All-CAA and All-Region honors during all four seasons with the Tigers
· Towson record holder for lowest round (63) and 54-hole score (70-67-63--200)
Josh Dickinson - East Carolina - 1991-95 - Kinston, N.C.
· Honored as the CAA Player of the Year in 1994
· Was the medalist at the 1994 CAA Golf Championship
· Posted top-five finishes at three consecutive CAA Championships (1993-95)
Rob Gai - Richmond - 1985-87 - Newington, Conn.
· Won back-to-back individual titles at the CAA Golf Championship (1986-87)
· Selected as the CAA Player of the Year in 1987
· Helped lead the Spiders to the 1986 CAA Golf Championship
Adam Gee - UNC Wilmington - 1999-2003 - Surrey, England
· Three-time member of the All-CAA team (2001-03)
· Career stroke average of 73.88 is the third-best in UNCW history
· Placed second at the 2001 CAA Golf Championship
Stan Guerrero - Old Dominion - 2004-08 - Tijuana, Mexico
· Selected as ODU's Male Athlete of the Year in 2008
· Received All-CAA and All-State accolades in 2007 and 2008
· Led ODU to the CAA Championship and NCAA East Regionals in 2007
Mark Haastrup - Georgia State - 2005-07 - Hoesby, Denmark
· First Georgia State golfer to earn All-America honors in 2006
· Medalist at the 2006 CAA Championship and the league's Rookie of the Year
· Holds school records for individual wins in a season (3) and low round (63)
Geoffrey Harris - Old Dominion - 1999-2003 - Reading, England
· Two-time CAA Player of the Year and Golf Coaches Association Scholar All-American (2002-03)
· Four-time All-CAA selection who was the medalist at the 2003 CAA Championship
· Set the ODU record for lowest scoring average (71.6) in a season in 2002
Michael Hospodar - Old Dominion - 1998-2002 - Brantford, Ontario, Canada
· Four-time All-CAA and three-time All-State honoree
· Earned CAA Rookie of the Year honors in 1999
· Individual runner-up at the 1999 CAA Championship
Steve Jamroz - Richmond - 1991-95 - Somers, Conn.
· Honored as the CAA Player of the Year in 1995
· Medalist at the 1995 CAA Golf Championship
· Placed fifth at the 1994 CAA Golf Championship
Donny Lee - VCU - 1995-99 - Coral Springs, Fla.
· Selected as the CAA Player of the Year in 1998
· Received first-team All-CAA honors for three straight seasons (1997-99)
· Helped lead the Rams to four consecutive CAA titles (1996-99)
John Maginnes - East Carolina - 1987-91 - Durham, N.C.
· Chosen as the CAA Player of the Year in 1991
· Medalist at the 1991 CAA Championship and placed second at the 1990 championship
· Owns the fifth-lowest career scoring average in ECU history
Craig Mason - George Mason - 2000-04 - Lorton, Va.
· Four-time All-CAA and three-time All-Mid-Atlantic Region honoree
· Holds school record for the lowest career scoring average (73.1)
· Finished career with 10 top-5 finishes and 34 top-20 finishes
John McHenry - William & Mary - 1982-86 - Cork, Ireland
· Three-time conference all-tournament selection (1984-86)
· Posted five career victories, six runner-ups and 15 top-five finishes
· Ranks fifth all-time in career scoring average at W&M (74.72)
Reg Millage - VCU - 1996-2000 - Ennismore, Ontario, Canada
· Honored as the CAA Player of the Year in 1999 and 2000
· Four-time first team All-CAA selection (1997-2000)
· Member of four CAA championship teams and was an NCAA individual qualifier in 2000
Eric Onesi - Old Dominion - 2006-present - Bear, Del.
· Three-time All-CAA selection and CAA Rookie of the Year in 2007
· Was the runner-up at the 2007 and 2009 CAA Championships
· Tied for eighth at the NCAA East Regional in 2007
. Earned an at-large bid to the 2009 NCAA Regional.
Brent Paladino - William & Mary - 2005-09 - Kensington, Conn.
· Earned first team All-CAA honors in 2008 and 2009
· Owns Tribe records for lowest career (73.64) and single-season scoring average (71.87)
· Posted seven top-five and 15 top-10 finishes in his career
Tim Pemberton - William & Mary - 2000-05 - Keswick, Va.
· Two-time All-CAA and All-Mid-Atlantic Region selection in 2002 and 2005
· Career scoring average (74.32) ranks second all-time at William & Mary
· Recorded nine career top-five and 16 top-10 finishes in his career
John Rollins - VCU - 1995-97 - Richmond, Va.
· Received CAA Player of the Year honors in 1996 and 1997
· Medalist at the 1996 CAA Championship and a member of two CAA championship teams
· PGA Tour professional with three career victories and 29 top-10 finishes
Rob Shawger - Richmond - 1988-1992 -Summit, N.J.
· Selected as the CAA Player of the Year in 1990
· Medalist at the 1990 CAA Golf Championship
· Finished in the top 10 at four straight CAA Championships (1989-92)
Tom Sherreard - Georgia State - 2006-present - Maidstone, England
· Two-time All-CAA selection and two-time CAA men's golf Scholar-Athlete of the Year
· Competed in three consecutive NCAA Regionals and one NCAA Championship
· Finished tied for 19th at the 2008 British Open
Joel Sjoholm - Georgia State - 2004-08 - Gothenberg, Sweden
· Received 1st team All-America honors in 2008 and 3rd team accolades in 2007
· Finished 13th at the 2008 NCAA Golf Championship
· Two-time CAA Player of the Year (2007, 2008) and a Jack Nicklaus Award finalist
Billy Wingerd - Towson - 2001-05 - Baltimore, Md.
· Honored as the CAA Player of the Year in 2004 and 2005
· Three-time All-CAA and All-Region selection (2003-05)
· Chosen as Towson University's Athlete of the Year in 2005
Jay Woodson - James Madison - 2000-04 - Powhatan, Va.
· Honored as the CAA Player of the Year in 2004
· Three-time All-CAA selection who had a pair of top-five finishes at the CAA Championship
· Chosen as JMU's Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2004