Men's Tennis Outlasts Cornell, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
March 23, 2012
NORFOLK, Va. - Alfredo Rodriguez won at No. 6 singles to clinch a 4-3 victory for Old Dominion over Cornell Friday evening at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
"It was a great effort by our guys today to come out and get the doubles point to start the match," head coach Aljosa Piric said. "We competed well in singles but Cornell fought hard and made us earn our win today. It was great to have Alfredo clinch the match with the score tied at three. The last few matches we have had multiple guys step at different spots of the lineup and we are collectively starting to build some momentum."
After losing the doubles point, Cornell came out in singles and won two of the first three but Carlos Lopez Villa got ODU on the board with a 6-1, 6-3 win at No. 2 while Wesley Barrett picked up a 6-0, 2-6, 6-4 win at No. 4.
Rodriguez clinched the win for the Monarchs with a 7-6, 6-4 win over Spencer Clark at No. 6 singles.
The Monarchs jumped out to the early lead by grabbing the doubles point. Albert Ochagavia and Lopez Villa won at No. 2 doubles 8-4 while Rodriguez and Krzysztof Muzalewski clinched the point with an 8-6 win over Kyle Berman and Sam Fleck.
Old Dominion is back in action on Sunday when they take on Delaware at 10 a.m.
ODU 4 Cornell 3
1. Sidney/Riggs (Cornell) over Barrett/Cetinel (Cornell) 8-2
2. Ochagavia/Lopez Villa (ODU) over Luu/Nguyen (ODU) 8-4
3. Muzalewski/Rodriguez (ODU) over Berman/Fleck (ODU) 8-6
1. Sam Fleck (Cornell) over Krzysztof Muzalewski (ODU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Carlos Lopez Villa (ODU) over Danny Riggs (Cornell) 6-1, 6-3
3. Jason Luu (Cornell) over Albert Ochagavia (ODU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Wesley Barrett (ODU) over Alex Sidney (Cornell) 6-0, 2-6, 6-4
5. Quoc-Daniel Nguyen (Cornell) over Can Cetinel (ODU) 7-5, 7-6
6. Alfredo Rodriguez (ODU) over Spencer Clark (Cornell) 7-6, 6-4
1, 2, 3
2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6