Men's Tennis Comes Back to Defeat Penn, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
March 17, 2012
NORFOLK, Va. - Old Dominion University men's tennis used wins from its top four singles to defeat the University of Penn Saturday 4-3 at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
"I am very happy with the way we competed today. We lost the doubles point, but we chose to come out in singles and compete through adversity," head coach Aljosa Piric said. Carlos got us on board quick, and Kris followed by beating another good, nationally ranked, player(No. 118). Albert battled through a tough injury all day, but fought mentally and physically to get a great win for our team.
Muzalewski started off singles with a 6-4, 6-3 win while Lopez Villa cruised to a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 2.
Ochagavia returned from an injury to pull off a tight 7-6, 7-6 triumph at No. 3 while Wesley Barrett won a hard fought three-setter at No. 4.
"At No. 4, for the second week in a row, Wesley was able to clinch the match for us at the team score tied at 3:3. We will take a well deserved day off tomorrow and get back to practice on Monday. We are looking forward to hosting a tough Cornell team next weekend, and our guys will be ready to go," Piric said.
ODU lost the doubles point but Lopez Villa and Barrett won 8-5 at No. 3 doubles.
ODU 4 Penn 3
1. Muzalewski / Turudic 6:4, 6:3 (ODU)
2. Lopez-Villa / Law 6:0, 6:4 (ODU)
3. Ochogavia / Kocevic 7:6,7:5 (ODU)
4. Barrett / Wong 4:6, 6:2, 6:4 (ODU)
5. Cetinel / Court 6:7, 6:2, 6:4 (PENN)
6. Fahoum / Lin 6:2, 6:2 (PENN)
1. Muzalewski/Fahoum - Turudic/N.Kocovic 2:8 (PENN)
2. Cetinel / Ochogavia - R. Wong / J.Lin 4:8 (PENN)
3. Lopez-Villa/ Barrett - J.Court/Z.Katz 8:5 (ODU)