Men's Tennis Captures School Record 21st Victory
By ODU Athletics
April 2, 2006
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. -- The No. 65 Old Dominion men's tennis team set a new school record for wins in a season as they defeated Radford, 4-3, at Huntington Park in Newport News on Sunday afternoon.
The victory improved the Monarchs to 21-7 as they won their seventh straight match as they head into Thursday's conference match-up with No. 62 William & Mary. Meanwhile Radford fell to 16-3.
The afternoon started with the Monarchs capturing the doubles point from victories at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. Harel Srugo and Alex Seleznev handed Radford's Martin Sayer and Arthur Vasarevic an 8-3 loss at No. 1 doubles, while the Monarch duo of Henrique Cancado and Eidy Igarashi posted an 8-4 win at No. 2 doubles.
In singles, Old Dominion took home victories at No. 2, No. 4, and No. 6 singles for the win. Henrique Cancado and Alex Seleznev both needed only two sets in both their victories. At No. 2 singles, Cancado downed Lloyd by a score of 6-2, 6-2, while Seleznev at No. 3 singles, defeated Johnson, 6-2, 6-1. Matt Sands rounded out the Monarch singles win with his three set come from behind win at the sixth position. After falling behind, 5-7, in the first set to Early, Sands rallied in the next two sets earning, 6-1, 6-2, wins for the victory.
The Monarch take on the 62nd-ranked Tribe at Huntington Park at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday.
Old Dominion 4, Radford 3
1. No. 26 Martin Sayer (RU) d. No. 29 Harel Srugo (ODU) 7-5,2-6,6-3
2. Henrique Cancado (ODU) d. James Lloyd (RU) 6-2,6-2
3. Arthur Vasarevic (RU) d. No. 78 Eidy Igarashi (ODU) 7-6,6-4
4. Alex Seleznev (ODU) d. Brandon Johnson (RU) 6-2,6-1
5. Mehdi Benhammou (UR) d. Rodrigo Souza (ODU) 6-2,6-0
6. Matt Sands (ODU) d. Tyler Early (RU) 5-7,6-1,6-2
1. Harel Srugo/Alex Seleznev (ODU) d. Martin Sayer/Arthur Vasarevic (RU) 8-3
2. Henrique Cancado/Eidy Igarashi (ODU) d. James Lloyd/Brandon Johnson (RU) 8-4
3. Mehdi Benhammou/Tyler Early (RU) d. Rodrigo Souza/Matt Sands (ODU) 8-7