No. 71 Men's Tennis Upsets No. 67 William & Mary
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 12, 2006
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- The Old Dominion men's team pulled off the upset at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center in Williamsburg on Sunday afternoon as the Monarchs edged out No. 67 William & Mary, the reigning Colonial Athletic Association Champions, 4-3.
The loss droped the Tribe's record to 4-4 overall and 0-1 in Colonial Athletic Association play, while the Monarchs improved to 7-4 and 2-0 CAA snapping a four-match losing streak.
W&M won the first completed doubles match, with sophomore Alex Cojanu and freshman Billy Mulligan defeating Nate Grover and Matthew Sands, 8-4, at No. 3. The Monarchs came back to win the point, however, with victories at the top two positions. Henrique Cancado and Eidy Igarishi, ranked 33rd in the nation, defeated junior Colin O'Brien and sophomore Matt Rubenstein, 8-6, in the top match. Aleksandr Seleznev and Harel Srugo clinched the point for the Monarchs with a 9-8 (4) win at No. 2 over senior Stephen Ward (Douglaston, NY) and freshman Dominic Pagon (Kingston, Jamaica).
The Tribe quickly tied the match at one with a 6-4, 6-2 win by Rubenstein at No. 5 singles over Sands. W&M then took a 2-1 lead with O'Brien¹s 6-4, 6-2 win in the top match over Cancado. ODU came back, however, winning the next three completed matches on courts two, six and four, to clinch the Monarch's victory. All three matches went to three sets, and ODU came back from first-set deficits in two of them. Srugo, who dropped back a spot to No. 2 singles, upset #57 Stephen Ward, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. Grover took a 1-6, 6-2, 7-5 match from Alexander Zuck at the No. 6 spot for another point. Seleznev then clinched the victory with his 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-3 victory over Billy Mulligan.
The Monarchs return to action Wednesday in another CAA match-up. They meet #34 Virginia Commonwealth.
#71 Old Dominion 4, #67 William and Mary 3
1. Colin O'Brien (W&M) d. Henrique Cancado; 6-4, 6-2
2. Harel Srugo (ODU) d. #57 Stephen Ward; 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
3. Alex Cojanu (W&M) d. #91 Eidy Igarashi; 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
4. Aleksandr Seleznev (ODU) d. Billy Mulligan; 6-1, 6-7 (5), 6-3
5. Matt Rubenstein (W&M) d. Matthew Sands; 6-4, 6-2
6. Nate Grover (ODU) d. Alexander Zuck; 1-6, 6-2, 7-5
1. #33 Cancado/Igarashi (ODU) d. O'Brien/Rubenstein; 8-6
2. Seleznev/Srugo (ODU) d. Dominic Pagon/Ward; 9-8 (4)
3. Cojanu/Mulligan (W&M) d. Grover/Sands; 8-4