Monarchs Hang Tough With Nationally Ranked No. 34 Dartmouth
By ODU Athletics
Norfolk, Va. - The Old Dominion men’s tennis team suffered a tough 5-2 loss to the No. 34 ranked Dartmouth Big Green in at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center this afternoon. The Monarchs are still 10-6 on the season, while the Big Green improve to 12-4.
Old Dominion got off to a great start in doubles, winning two matches and were also winning the third when the clinch rule was called into effect. Jonas Kuwert and Dante Terenzio gave Dovydas Sakinis and Brandon DeBot (8-4) just their third loss on the season in No. 1 doubles. Also the team of Zvonimir Podvinski and Koen Wiggemans won their match in an exciting eight game tiebreaker against Diego Pedraza and Chris Kipouras (8-7(7-5)). Carlos Lopez Villa and Abdoulaye Camara were up in their match against Brendan Tannenbaum and George Wall (7-7(2-0)).
No. 71 Carlos Lopez Villa continued his winning streak against Dovydas Sakinis (7-6(7-5), 4-2) of the Big Green. Sakinis was forced to retire due to a back injury. Carlos Villa was the only Monarch to score a singles point in today’s match.
NEXT UP FOR THE TENNIS MONARCHS
The Monarchs are right back in action at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center against another nationally ranked opponent in No. 64 College of Charleston on Sunday at 11:00 a.m. The Cougars have notable wins this season over No. 57-ranked Iowa and No. 75 Presbyterian.
No. 34 Dartmouth: 5 Old Dominion 2
1. No. 71 Carlos Lopez Villa (ODU) d. Dovydas Sakinis (DC) 7-6(7-5), 4-2
2. Chris Kipouras (DC) d. Dante Terenzio (ODU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Brandon DeBot (DC) d. Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU) 6-7(7-1), 6-3, (10-6)
4. George Wall (DC) d. Jonas Kuwert (ODU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Diego Pedraza (DC) d. Darragh Glavin (ODU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Brendan Tannenbaum (DC) d. Koen Wiggemans (ODU) 7-6(7-4), 6-2
1. Jonas Kuwert/Dante Terenzio (ODU) d. Dovydas Sakinis/Brandon DeBot (DC) 8-4
2. Zvonimir Podvinski/Koen Wiggemans (ODU) d. Diego Pedraza/Chris Kipouras (DC) 8-7(7-5)
3. Carlos Lopez Villa/Abdoulaye Camara (ODU) dnf. Brendan Tannenbaum and George Wall (DC) 7-7(2-0)
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Men’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUMensTennis on Twitter.