Women's Tennis Comes Back to Beat Penn, 4-3
Feb. 24, 2013
NORFOLK, Va. - Ivana Vukovic and Melissa Esnal Olguin came from behind to win a pair of three-setters as Old Dominion University women's tennis defeated Penn 4-3 Sunday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
"It was a great team effort today. I am so proud of how we competed from the top of the line up to the bottom even after losing the doubles point in controversial fashion. In addition, I believe this was a great performance by our coaching staff managing each court and getting the best out of each player. Today we faced an experienced team and we stepped up," Head Coach Dominic Manilla said.
Penn pulled out the doubles point with tight wins at No. 1 and No. 3.
ODU got on the board with a 6-2, 6-3 win from Nikol Hristova at No. 2 singles.
Nika Khmolovska followed with a 6-4, 6-4 victory at No. 6, but the Quakers earned a 7-5, 6-1 win from Sol Eskenazi at No. 1 and a 6-2, 6-3 triumph from Sonya Latycheva at No. 3.
Vukovic dropped her first set 6-4 and came back to win the second set 6-4 and delivered a 6-1 third set win to tie the match.
Esnal Olguin dropped her first match 6-3, but won the second 7-5 and put the match away with a 6-1 third-set victory.
With the win, ODU improves to 7-3 on the year.
The Lady Monarchs are on the road next weekend as they travel to UNC Greensboro.
ODU 4 Penn 3
1. Eskenazi/Latycheva over Ivanova/Hristova 8-6
2. Pires/Esnal Olguin over Rodin/Yapp-Shing 9-7
3. Do/Ion over Vukovic/Khmolovska 8-6
1. Sol Eskenazi over Diana Ivanova 7-5, 6-1
2. Nikol Hristova over Stephanie Do 6-2, 6-3
3. Sonya Latycheva over Julianne Pires 6-2, 6-1
4. Ivana Vukovic over Jaime Yapp-Shing 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Melissa Esnal Olguin over Alex Ion 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
6. Nika Khmolovska over Katherine Jania 6-2, 6-4