Lady Monarchs Fall To #10 Duke
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 20, 2004
DURHAM, NC -- The Old Dominion women's tennis team fell to 3-4 on the season with a 6-1 loss at Duke on Thursday afternoon at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center. Senior Nataly Cahana (Qiriat Balik, Israel), ranked 33rd nationally, picked up the Lady Monarchs' lone match with a 6-2, 7-6 (4) upset No. 1 singles victory over fifth ranked Amanda Johnson. The Dukes were the third straight ranked team that Old Dominion has faced.
The Blue Devils swept the doubles competitions, although ODU's No. 1 doubles team of Cahana and sophomore Kerstin Endlich pushed Amanda Johnson and Julia Smith to a 9-7 match.
In singles action, Duke took home wins in No. 2 through No. 6. The Lady Monarchs' Fernanda Luiz managed to push her match to three sets with #89 Tory Zawacki, but fell, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0.
The Lady Monarchs return to action against nationally ranked UPenn on Saturday, February 21st at Princess Anne Country Club.
Duke 6, Old Dominion 1
Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center
Feb. 19, 2004
1. Amanda Johnson/Julia Smith (DU) d. Nataly Cahana/Kerstin Endlich (ODU) 9-7
2. Tory Zawacki/Jennifer Zika (DU) d. Larissa Santos/Fernanda Luiz (ODU) 8-5
3. Kristin Cargill/Saras Arasu (DU) d. Maria Martinez/Coralie Herrmann (ODU) 8-1
1. #33 Nataly Cahana (ODU) d. #5 Amanda Johnson (DU) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
2. #64 Jennifer Zika (DU) d. Kerstin Endlich (ODU) 6-1, 6-0
3. #89 Tory Zawacki (DU) d. Fernanda Luiz (ODU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
4. #95 Julia Smith (DU) d. Larissa Santos (ODU) 6-1, 6-0
5. #91 Saras Arasu (DU) d. Coralie Herrmann (ODU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Kristin Cargill (DU) d. Maria Martinez (ODU) 6-1, 6-0