Lady Lions Halt ODU Women's Tennis, 5-2
March 2, 2004
STATE COLLEGE, Pa., February 29, 2004 - The Penn State women's tennis team logged its third consecutive victory with a 5-2 triumph over Old Dominion on Sundayat the Penn State Tennis Center. With the win, the Nittany Lions evened their season record at 5-5 overall, while Old Dominion falls to 4-6 overall. The Lady Monarchs picked up victories at No. 1 and No. 6 singles.
Penn State opened up an early 1-0 lead over the Lady Monarchs by taking two of the three doubles matches. The Nittany Lions went on to split the first four singles matches to hold on to the one-point lead with two matches remaining. Penn State held off the Old Dominion rally and captured wins in the final two matches to seal the team victory.
Although the Lady Lions took the doubles point, the Lady Monarch duo of senior Nataly Cahana and sophomore Coralie Herrmann earned a double victory at the No. 2 position, 8-2, over Jessica McKeown and Maaria Husain.
No. 33 Nataly Cahana improved her singles record to 9-2 on the season with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Leigh Ann Merryman at No. 1 singles. The Lady Monarchs other singles win came from freshman Barbara Kerner with a 6-2, 6-2 No. 6 singles victory.
The Lady Monarchs return to the court against South Alabama in Hilton Head, South Carolina on March 12th.
Penn State 5, Old Dominion 2
1. Merryman/Marton (PSU) def. Luiz/Santos 8-2
2. Cahana/Herrmann (ODU) def. Jessica McKeown/Husain 8-2
3. Lindsay Downing/Spence (PSU) def. Kerner/Endlich 8-6
1. Nataly Cahana (ODU) def. Leigh Ann Merryman 6-1, 6-1
2. Megan Marton (PSU) def. Kerstin Endlich 6-0, 6-3
3. Maaria Husain (PSU) def. Fernanda Luiz 6-0, 6-0
4. Sarah Spence (PSU) def. Larissa Santos 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
5. Sasha Abraham (PSU) def. Coralie Herrmann 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Barbara Kerner (ODU) def. Katelyn BeVard 6-2, 6-3