Women's Tennis Edges Richmond 4-3
March 26, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – The Old Dominion University’s women’s tennis team improved to 16-4 on the season with a 4-3 victory over the visiting Spiders of Richmond Wednesday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
The 55th ranked Lady Monarchs jumped out to a 1-0 lead after winning two of the three doubles matches to secure the point. Nadine Fahoum and Margarita Spicin defeated Erin Clark and Ashlee Vosters 8-2 at No. 1, while the ODU duo of Marija Citic and Charleen Haarhoff edged Richmond’s Kely Tidwell and Helen Cunningham 9-8 at No. 3.
In singles action the teams won three matches apiece with ODU claiming victories at No. 1, 2 and 4. Fahoum defeated Pamela Duran in straight sets 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1, and Haarhoff needed three sets to down Clark at No. 2 6-3, 0-6, 6-4. Spicin’s 6-0, 7-5 straight set victory over Cunningham proved to be the decisive point in the contest, giving ODU the 4-3 win.
The Lady Monarchs return to action this Friday, March 27 when they’ll host UMASS.
- Fahoum/Spicin (ODU) def. Clark/Vosters (UR) 8-2
- Duran/Arana (UR) def. Dobrowolska/Dementyeva (ODU) 8-2
- Citic/Haarhoff (ODU) def. Tidwell/Cunningham (UR) 9-8
- Nadine Fahoum (ODU) def. Pamela Duran (UR) 6-2, 6-1
- Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) def. Erin Clark (UR) 6-3, 0-6, 6-4
- Kelly Tidwell (UR) def. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) 6-1, 6-2
- Margarita Spicin (ODU) def. Helen Cunningham (UR) 6-0, 7-5
- Joanna Matuszczyk (UR) def. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-1
- Ashlee Vosters (UR) def. Marija Citic (ODU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-0
#55 Old Dominion 4, Richmond 3