Women's Tennis Downs No. 49 Marshall, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
March 8, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – With the match tied at 3-3, ODU senior Charleen Haarhoff pulled out a three set victory to give the 55th ranked Lady Monarchs a 4-3 win over No. 49 Marshall in women’s tennis action Saturday morning at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center. With the win the Lady Monarchs improved to 14-3 overall, while the Thundering Herd fell to 7-7.
ODU captured the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No. 3. Irina Dementyeva and Joanna Dobrowolska defeated the Marshall duo of Jessica Keener and Catherine Kellner, 8-5 at No. 2, while at No. 3 Haarhoff and Marija Citic eanred an 8-4 win over Deanna Bailey and Thaddea Lock.
Marshall took a 3-1 lead with singles victories at No. 1, No. 5 and No. 6, but the Lady Monarchs fought back to tie the score. Dobrowolska defeated Karolina Soor 7-6, 6-2 at No. 3 and at No. 4 Margarita Spicin knocked off Bailey in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1. After splitting the first two sets of her match with Isabell Raich at No. 2, Haarhoff sealed the win for the Lady Monarchs by taking the third set for the 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 victory.
1. Schmitt/Soor (MU) d. Fahoum/Spicin (ODU) 8-2
2. Dementyeva/Dobrowolska (ODU) d. Keener/Kellner (MU) 8-5
3. Haarhoff/Citic (ODU) d. Bailey/Lock (MU) 8-4
1. Kellie Schmitt (MU) d. Nadine Fahoum (ODU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) d. Isabell Raich (MU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
3. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) d. Karolina Soor (MU) 7-6, 6-2
4. Margarita Spicin (ODU) d. Deanna Bailey (MU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jessica Keener (MU) d. Irina Demetyeva (ODU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Catherine Kellner (MU) d. Marija Citic (ODU) 7-5, 6-3
FINAL SCORE: #55 ODU 4, #49 Marshall 3