Lady Monarchs Fall On Senior Day To South Alabama
April 12, 2009
Norfolk, Va. – The University of South Alabama women’s tennis team extended its winning streak to 10 and put a damper on the Senior Day activities at Old Dominion as the visiting Jaguars defeated the 55th ranked Lady Monarchs 5-2 at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
“The University of South Alabama showed in the last two days that they have resolve and can play well outside and beat two higher ranked teams on the road,” said ODU assistant Nataly Cahana-Fleishman. “Our team played with a lot of ups and downs and it was hard for us to close out matches. It is good that we got the opportunity to play outside and prepare for the CAA Championship. This week we will work on what we felt was lacking and be ready to perform this weekend.”
The Jaguars opened by sweeping all three doubles matches to secure the point.
In singles action, the Lady Monarchs struggles continued as they managed to win just two of six matches. Nadine Fahoum defeated Erica Krisan in straight sets 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1, and at No. 5 Irina Dementyeva outlasted Sylvanie Spangenberg 6-4, 5-7, 10-8. Playing in her final regular season match at ODU, the Lady Monarchs lone senior Charleen Haarhoff could not go out on a high note, falling 6-2, 6-1 to Michaela Babicova at No. 2.
The Lady Monarchs will now shift their focus to the upcoming CAA Championships which will be held on the campus of ODU beginning this Thursday, April 16.
1. Babicova/Spangenberg (USA) def. Fahoum/Spicin (ODU) 8-6
2. Krisan/Welch (USA) def. Dobrowolska/Dementyeva (ODU) 8-4
3. Maloo/Volman (USA) def. Citic/Haarhoff (ODU) 8-3
1. Nadine Fahoum (ODU) def. Erica Krisan (USA) 6-2, 6-1
2. Michaela Babicova (USA) def. Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Katie Welch (USA) def. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) 5-7, 7-5, (11-9)
4. Parija Maloo (USA) def. Margarita Spicin (ODU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) def. Sylvanie Spangenberg (USA) 6-4, 5-7, (10-8)
6. Alina Volman (USA) def. Marija Citic (ODU) 6-3, 6-2
South Alabama 5, #55 Old Dominion 2