#70 Winthrop Slips Past #51 ODU Women's Tennis, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
Feb. 7, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- Junior Nadine Fahoum (Haifa, Israel) remained undefeated in dual matches this season with a win at No. 1 singles, but ODU lost to #70 Winthrop today, 4-3.
The 21st ranked Lady Monarch won in straight sets over Winthrop's Elizaveta Zaytseva, 6-2, 6-2. She improves to 8-0 in singles action, all at the No. 1 slot. She would also pair with Joanna Dobrowolska at No. 1 doubles for the 8-1 victory, but Winthrop would take the other two matches in doubles to win the point.
The singles matches would be tight, as four matches would see a third set. Dobrowolska would drop her match at No. 2 singles, but ODU would get wins at No. 3 and No. 4 from Irina Dementyeva and Diana Ivanova respectively. Dementyeva defeated Sandra Herrera in a 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 final, while Ivanova won 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.
Winthrop would win the match by taking No. 5 and No. 6 singles, including a three-set win over Marija Citic at No. 6. The ODU junior forced the tiebreaker with a 6-3 win in the second set, but was defeated 6-4 in the final.
Old Dominion drops to 6-3 this season as a team, who will return to action next Saturday against St. Joseph's and Towson, in their CAA opener.
#51 OLD DOMINION vs. #70 WINTHROP
1. Fahoum/Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Zaytseva/Alkema (Winthrop); 8-1
2. Herrera/Portioli (Winthrop) def. Citic/Pires (ODU); 8-3
3. Wilkinson/Pereira (Winthrop) def. Ivanova/Dementyeva (ODU); 8-2
1. #21 Nadine Fahoum (ODU) def. Elizaveta Zaytseva (Winthrop); 6-2, 6-2
2. Yasmine Alkema (Winthrop) def. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU); 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Irina Dementyeva (ODU) def. Sandra Herrera (Winthrop); 6-2, 1-6, 6-3
4. Diana Ivanova (ODU) def. Giovanna Portioli (Winthrop); 3-6, 6-2, 6-1
5. Lisa Wilkinson (Winthrop) def. Juliana Pires (ODU); 6-4, 6-3
6. Paula Pereira (Winthrop) def. Marija Citic (ODU); 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
FINAL SCORE: #70 Winthrop 4, #51 Old Dominion 3