ODU Women's Tennis Defeats Delaware, 4-0, in CAA Quarterfinals
April 23, 2004
WILLIAMSBURG, VA - Old Dominion's third- seeded women's tennis team defeated No. 6 seed Delaware, 4-0, this morning in the quarterfinals of the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Tournament at William and Mary's Busch Tennis Courts. The Monarchs improve to 8-11, while the Blue Hens drop to 9-10.
ODU quickly took a 1-0 lead in the match, with shutout wins at the first and third doubles contests. At No. 1, the team of Nataly Cahana (Qiriat Bialik, Israel), the 2004 CAA Co-Player of the Year, and Kerstin Endlich (Neustadt, Germany) blanked Jamie de Graffenreid and Sari Shuster, 8-0. The Monarchs' Coralie Herrmann (Porrentruy, Switzerland) and Barbara Kerner (Herxheim, Germany) soon followed with an 8-0 win at No. 3 over Beth Principe and Julia Shapiro.
Cahana, ranked 31st in the nation in singles, gave the Monarchs a 2-0 lead, defeating Shuster at No. 1, 6-0, 6-1. At No. 6, ODU's Maria Martiniez defeated Stefanie Riddle, 6- 1, 6-1 at No. 6 and Herrmann clinched the match with a 6-0, 6-1 win at No. 5 over Principe.
ODU advances to tomorrow's semifinal round at 2:00 PM on the Busch Courts. The Monarchs will face the winner of the Virginia Commonwealth-George Mason match to be played later today.
Old Dominion 4, Delaware 0
Colonial Athletic Association Women's Tennis Tournament Quarterfinal
1. #31 Nataly Cahana (ODU) d. Sari Shuster (UD); 6-0, 6-1
2. Kerstin Endlich (ODU) vs. Liz Perlow (UD); suspended
3. Fernada Luiz (ODU) vs. Marissa Singer (UD); suspended
4. Larissa Santos (ODU) vs. Jamie de Graffenreid (UD); suspended
5. Coralie Herrmann (ODU) d. Beth Principe (UD); 6-0, 6-1
6. Maria Martiniez (ODU) d. Stefanie Riddle (UD); 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 6, 5
1. Cahana/Endlich (ODU) d. de Graffenreid/Shuster (UD); 8-0
2. Luiz/Santos (ODU) vs. Perlow/Singer (UD); suspended
3. Herrmann/Barbara Kerner (ODU) d. Principe/Julia Shapiro (UD); 8-0
Order of finish: 1, 3