Women's Tennis Suffers First Loss Of The Season; Falls 4-3 To No. 33 Maryland
Feb. 10, 2007
COLLEGE PARK, MD. -- The Old Dominion women's tennis team was handed their first loss of the 2007 season as they were defeated 4-3 by No. 33 Maryland.
The Lady Monarchs were able to garner three of the six singles wins, but was not able to capture the doubles point as the Terps swept all three matches.
Old Dominion captured its match wins at No. 1, No. 5, and No. 6 singles. At No. 1 singles, No. 93 Charleen Haarhoff (Durban, South Africa) defeated No. 77 Marianne Baker in a tiebreak, 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5). No. 5 singles had ODU's Barbara Costa (Belo Horizonte, Brazil) down Lisa Miller, 7-5, 6-2, while Daniela Cohen at No. 6 singles picked up a 6-3, 6-1 over Maryland's Maggie MacKeever.
The loss drops the Lady Monarch women's tennis team to 6-1 overall. They will return to action on Wednesday, February 14th in Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) action when they take on No. 12 Virginia Commonwealth in Richmond.
#33 Maryland 4, Old Dominion 3
1. No. 93 Charleen Haarhoff (ODU) def. No. 77 Marianne Baker (MD) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Eleanor Peters (MD) def. Fernanda Luiz (ODU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Michal Amir (MD) def. Larissa Santos (ODU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Elyse Steiner (MD) def. Jana Kubicikova (ODU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Barbara Costa (ODU) def. Lisa Miller (MD) 7-5, 6-2
6. Daniela Cohen (ODU) def. Maggie MacKeever (MD) 6-3, 6-1
1. No. 44 Marianne Baker/Eleanor Peters (MD) def. Charleen Haarhoff/Fernanda Luiz (ODU) 8-5
2. Michal Amir/Maggie MacKeever (MD) def. Larissa Santos/Jana Kubicikova (ODU) 8-3
3. Lisa Miller/Elyse Steiner (MD) def. Barbara Costa/Larissa Santos (ODU) 8-5