Lady Monarchs Fall to Georgia State in Tight Match, 4-3
By ODU Athletics
March 26, 2010
NORFOLK, Va. -- The 68th ranked Lady Monarchs won the doubles point and battled in singles play, but were defeated by the Georgia State Panthers (4-10, 2-0) in a 4-3 final. ODU got a pair of wins in singles play as Joanna Dobrowolska and Marija Citic won at No. 2 and No. 6 respectively.
Old Dominion earned a 1-0 lead with the doubles point, taking the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles matches. Dobrowolska paired with Irina Dementyeva at No. 2 for an 8-5 win over Katerina Gresova and Tereza Lerova, while Citic played with Diana Ivanova at No. 3 for an 8-4 win over Kir Kemp and Lindsay Hearn.
In singles play, Georgia State would take four matches for the win, though, including a big win at the top spot. It was Georgia State winning a matchup of two of the top female tennis players in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA), ODU's 19th ranked Nadine Fahoum and Georgia State's 28th ranked Diana Nakic. Nakic handed Fahoum just her fifth loss of the season, 6-2, 6-2.
Dobrowolska got ODU in the win column with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Kemp at No. 2 and Citic earned a straight set win over Hearn at No. 6. Ivanova and Pires each won their first set against their opponents, but fell in three sets at No. 4 and 5 respectively.
Old Dominion slips to 13-7 overall this season and drops to 2-2 in CAA action. The Lady Monarchs will look to bounce back against Delaware in another CAA matchup this Wednesday, March 31 at 2:00 p.m.
#68 OLD DOMINION vs. GEORGIA STATE
1. Nakic/Hricistova (GSU) def. Fahoum/Pires (ODU); 8-6
2. Dobrowolska/Dementyeva (ODU) def. Gresova/Lerova (GSU); 8-5
3. Ivanova/Citic (ODU) def. Kemp/Hearn (GSU); 8-4
1. #28 Diana Nakic (GSU) def. #19 Nadine Fahoum (ODU); 6-2, 6-2
2. Joanna Dobrowolska (ODU) def. Kir Kemp (GSU); 6-1, 6-4
3. Katerina Gresova (GSU) def. Irina Dementyeva (ODU); 7-6, 6-2
4. Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. Diana Ivanova (ODU); 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Linda Hricistova (GSU) def. Juliana Pires (ODU); 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Marija Citic (ODU) def. Lindsay Hearn (GSU); 6-2, 6-0
FINAL SCORE: Georgia State 4, #68 Old Dominion 3