Women's Tennis Falls in Tight 4-2 Match Against Undefeated Maryland
NORFOLK, Va. – The Old Dominion University women’s tennis team fell to undefeated Maryland, 4-2, on Friday at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center. The win lifted the Terrapins to a perfect 4-0 record on the season, while the Lady Tennis Monarchs (3-2) drop only their second match of the year.
“I knew coming into this game that the doubles point was going to be pretty major. Our freshmen are learning about the level they are expected to bring,” said Old Dominion head coach Dom Manilla. Manilla continued, “In singles, we really turned up the heat with Nikol at No. 1 and Ingrid at No. 2. Those two continue to be rocks for this team and can compete with anyone in the country. Everyone competed hard, and I feel like we really wanted it today.”
On Friday, the Lady Monarchs started off well against Maryland with a straight sets doubles victory by Nikol Hristova and Melissa Esnal Olguin over Kristina Hovsepyan and Welma Luus (6-0). However, it was Maryland who would take the other two matches, giving the Terps the sole double’s team point and 1-0 lead heading into single’s play.
In singles, the Lady Monarchs came back strong with a win by Nikol Hristova over Maryland’s No. 1 Kristina Hovsepyan (6-1, 6-4) to tie the team score at 1. Then Ingrid Vojcinakova only lost one game in her victory over Welma Luus of Maryland (6-0, 6-1) to give the Lady Monarchs the lead. But the Terps would win the next three matches in a row to seal the victory. ODU’s Melissa Esnal Olguin won the first set over Maryalnd’s Oliva Gaudreult; however, that match would not be completed due to the clinch rule.
Maryland University vs. Old Dominion University
Final Score: Maryland 4 - Old Dominion 2
1. Nikol Hristova (ODU) d. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 6-1, 6-4
2. Ingrid Vojcinakova (ODU) d. Welma Luus (MD) 6-0, 6-1
3. Stanova (MD) d. Ivana Vukovic (ODU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) d. Nika Khomolovska (ODU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Olga Bredikhina (MD) d. Marijana Novakovic (ODU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Melissa Esnal Olguin dnf. Oliva Gaudreult (MD) 6-4 2-6 1-0
1. Nikol Hristova/Melissa Esnal Olguin (ODU) d. Kristina Hovsepyan/Welma Luus (MD) 6-0
2. Alexandra Stanova/Oliva Gaudreult (MD) d. Ingrid Vojcinakova/Marijana Novakovic (ODU) 6-2
3. Nataliya Bredikhina/Olga Bredikhina (MD) d. Nika Khomolovska/Ivana Vukovic (ODU) 6-2
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Women’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUWomensTennis on Twitter!