Six ODU Standouts Selected To CAA Silver Anniversary Team
By ODU Athletics
Jan. 22, 2010
RICHMOND, Va. (January 22, 2010) -The Colonial Athletic Association has announced its Silver Anniversary team for baseball, which features 10 former CAA Players of the Year, 17 All-Americans and 11 former or current Major League Baseball players. Six former ODU standouts are included in this list.
As part of its 25th Anniversary celebration in 2009-10, the CAA is recognizing Silver Anniversary teams in 21 championship sports. The teams were selected by a panel of current and former coaches in the conference.
Members of the CAA Silver Anniversary team for baseball are:
Dana Allison (James Madison), Sean Casey (Richmond), Jason Dubois (VCU), Tommy Eason (East Carolina), Kevin Gibbs (Old Dominion), Wayne Gomes (Old Dominion), Brendan Harris (William and Mary), Ronald Hill (UNC Wilmington), Tim Hummel (Old Dominion), Brandon Inge (VCU), Winfred Johnson (East Carolina), Brian Jordan (Richmond), Eddie Kim (James Madison), Scott Krieger (George Mason), Kellen Kulbacki (James Madison), Sean Marshall (VCU), Cla Meredith (VCU), Greg Miller (James Madison), Sergio Miranda (VCU), Jeff Palumbo (George Mason), Matt Quatraro (Old Dominion), John Raynor (UNC Wilmington), Justin Verlander (Old Dominion), Ron Walker (Old Dominion) and Chris Widger (George Mason).
Baseball has been a championship sport in the CAA since the league's inception in 1986 and nine different schools have earned titles. East Carolina won seven CAA championships over a 14-year span, including four in a row from 1988-91. VCU has captured four league crowns (2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007) while Old Dominion (1994-96) and Richmond (1986, 1997, 1998) each have three titles. George Mason (1988, 1992) and UNC Wilmington (2004, 2006) have won a pair of CAA championships and Georgia State (2009), James Madison (2008) and William and Mary (2001) have won one.
The CAA has earned a reputation as one of the nation's top baseball conferences. The conference has sent multiple teams to the NCAA Baseball Championship in nine of the past 12 years, and the CAA had three teams received tournament berths in 1995, 1999 and 2001.
More extensive biographies of the members of the Silver Anniversary team are included with this release. Photos and a video of the anniversary team are available at http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=204872910
CAA Baseball 25th Anniversary Team
Dana Allison - James Madison - 1986-89 - Front Royal, Va.
· Earned CAA Player of the Year and All-America honors in 1988
· Two-time All-CAA selection who went 12-2 with a 1.53 ERA in 1988
· Ranks among JMU's top five in career wins (25), complete games (23) and strikeouts (220)
Sean Casey - Richmond - 1993-95 - Pittsburgh, Pa.
· Received CAA Player of the Year and All-America accolades in 1995
· Three-time All-CAA honoree who led the nation in batting in 1995 (.461)
· Played 11 years in the majors and was a three-time National League All-Star
Jason Dubois - VCU - 1998-2000 - Virginia Beach, Va.
· Three-time All-CAA selection who received All-America honors in 2000
· Won the CAA Triple Crown in 2000 with a .435 average, 19 homers and 74 RBI
· Ranks among VCU's career top 10 in batting (.375), homers (37), and RBI (183)
Tommy Eason - East Carolina - 1989-91 - Snow Hill, N.C.
· Received first-team All-CAA honors in 1989 and 1990
· Batted over .300 in all three seasons and hit .336 for his career
· Hit .366 and led the CAA in home runs (17) and RBI (62) in 1990
Kevin Gibbs - Old Dominion - 1993-95 - Davidsonville, Md.
· Two-time All-America selection (1994, 1995) and Freshman All-American in 1993
· CAA Co-Player of the Year in 1994 and a three-time All-CAA honoree
· Career .393 hitter who owns ODU's all-time marks for triples (19) and stolen bases (134)
. ODU Sports Hall of Fame inductee
Wayne Gomes - Old Dominion - 1991-93 - Hampton, Va.
· Earned first-team All-CAA honors in 1993 and was a 1991 Freshman All-American
· Second on ODU's career saves list (16) and struck out 156 batters in 100 innings
· Fourth overall pick in the 1993 draft who pitched seven seasons in the majors
. ODU Sports Hall of Fame inductee.
Brendan Harris - William and Mary - 1999-2001 - Queensbury, N.Y.
· Received first-team All-CAA and All-State accolades in 2001
· Ranks among W&M's top five in career batting (.363), hits (237), runs (185) and RBI (160)
· Currently plays for the Minnesota Twins
Ronald Hill - UNC Wilmington - 2002-05 - Wilmington, N.C.
· Two-time All-Region honoree who earned first-team All-CAA honors in 2005
· Posted a perfect 17-0 career record in CAA regular season and postseason games
· Holds the UNCW record for wins in a season (12) and a career (31)
Tim Hummel - Old Dominion - 1998-2000 - Montgomery, N.Y.
· Received first-team All-America honors and was the CAA Player of the Year in 2000
· Three-time All-CAA selection who received Freshman All-America accolades in 1998
· Batted .388 for his career and owns the ODU career record for on-base percentage (.508)
Brandon Inge - VCU - 1996-98 - Lynchburg, Va.
· Earned first-team All-America and CAA Co-Player of the Year honors in 1998
· Three-time All-CAA selection as a shortstop and a relief pitcher
· Nine-year veteran of the Detroit Tigers who made the All-Star team in 2009
Winfred Johnson - East Carolina - 1983-86 - Pittsboro, N.C.
· Two-time All-American (1985, 1986) who was the 1986 CAA Player of the Year
· First player in NCAA history with 70 career homers and 35 pitching victories
· Owns ECU career records for batting average (.369), homers (70), RBI (221) and wins (35)
Brian Jordan - Richmond - 1986-88 - Baltimore, Md.
· Two-time ABCA All-Region selection (1987, 1988)
· Ranks seventh in career homers (32) and stolen bases (57) at Richmond
· Played 14 seasons in the majors and made the All-Star team in 1999
Eddie Kim - James Madison - 2000-03 - Fairfax, Va.
· Honored as the CAA Player of the Year in 2002 and 2003
· Two-time All-Region selection and an All-America honoree in 2003
· Among JMU's top five in career batting (.409), home runs (36) and RBI (197)
Scott Krieger - George Mason - 2006-09 - Towson, Md.
· Received CAA Player of the Year and All-America honors in 2009
· Three-time All-CAA selection who owns five Mason career records
· Among the top five in CAA history in hits (303), homers (69), runs (228) and RBI (238)
Kellen Kulbacki - James Madison - 2005-07 - Hershey, Pa.
· Two-time All-American who was Collegiate Baseball's 2006 Co-National Player of the Year
· Chosen as the CAA and state of Virginia Player of the Year in 2006 and 2007
· Set CAA season records for batting average (.464) and home runs (24) in 2006
Sean Marshall - VCU - 2001-03 - Richmond, Va.
· Two-time All-CAA honoree who was a Freshman All-American in 2001
· Ranks among VCU's career top 10 in starts (40) and strikeouts (254)
· Just completed his fourth season as a pitcher for the Chicago Cubs
Cla Meredith - VCU - 2002-04 - Chesterfield, Va.
· Two-time All-CAA selection who earned honorable mention All-America honors in 2003
· Ranks among VCU's career top 10 in saves (15), appearances (79) and ERA (2.52)
· Just finished his fifth season in the majors with the Baltimore Orioles
Greg Miller - James Madison - 1998-2001 - Herndon, Va.
· Earned All-CAA and All-Region accolades in 1999 and 2001
· Owns CAA and JMU records for hits in a career with 318
· Set five CAA Tournament records by going 7-for-7 with 3 HR and 9 RBI against UR in 2000
Sergio Miranda - VCU - 2005-07 - Bayamon, Puerto Rico
· Rawlings Gold Glove Award winner in 2007 and a two-time CAA Defensive Player of the Year
· Three-time All-CAA selection who earned Freshman All-America honors in 2005
· Among the top three in career assists (570), hits (283) and batting average (.376) at VCU
Jeff Palumbo - George Mason - 2001-04 - Bowie, Md.
· CAA Defensive Player of the Year and Scholar-Athlete of the Year in 2003 and 2004
· Batted .402 and led the nation in runs per game in 2004 (81 in 58 games)
· Among the top 10 in CAA history in at-bats (865), runs (205) and hits (283)
Matt Quatraro - Old Dominion - 1993-96 - Selkirk, N.Y.
· Received All-America and Academic All-America honors in 1996
· Three-time All-CAA selection who was the MVP of the 1994 CAA Tournament
· Led the CAA with a .416 batting average in 1996 and hit .400 for his career
. ODU Sports Hall of FAme Inductee.
John Raynor - UNC Wilmington - 2003-06 - Benson, N.C.
· Received All-America accolades in 2006 after batting .420 with 69 RBI and 42 steals
· Two-time All-CAA and ABCA All-Region selection (2005, 2006)
· Among the top five in career batting (.352), runs (161), hits (230), and RBI (148) at UNCW
Justin Verlander - Old Dominion - 2002-04 - Manakin-Sabot, Va.
· All-time strikeout leader (427) for ODU, the CAA and the state of Virginia
· Two-time All-CAA and All-Region selection
· Five-year member of the Detroit Tigers who made the All-Star team in 2007 and 2009
Ron Walker - Old Dominion - 1995-97 - Indian Mills, N.J.
· Earned All-CAA accolades as a third baseman and relief pitcher
· Two-time All-Region honoree and a Freshman All-American in 1995
· ODU's all-time leader in saves (17) and ranks second in career home runs (36)
Chris Widger - George Mason - 1990-92 - Wilmington, Del.
· Received first-team All-CAA and All-Region honors in 1991 and 1992
· Among Mason's career top 10 in home runs (32), RBI (149) and doubles (52)
· Played 10 seasons in the majors and won a World Series with the 2005 Chicago White Sox