Men's Tennis Comes Up Just Short Against No. 55 Princeton
NORFOLK, Va. – The Old Dominion men’s tennis team (4-1) battled it out and eventually fell 5-2 to the No. 55 ranked team in the land, Princeton (2-0), on Saturday afternoon at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
Afterwards, Old Dominion’s assistant men’s tennis coach, Sander Koning, talk about the match, “Our guys fought hard today and played discipline and were feisty. We hung in there and fought, and gave ourselves opportunities but just didn’t capitalize. We must learn from today’s match.”
No. 30 Carlos Lopez Villa still has yet to lose a single set this season after taking down Princeton’s nationally ranked No. 119 Zack McCourt 6-1, 6-4 on Saturday.
Dante Terenzio dropped the first set to Princeton’s Thomas Colautti, but would come from behind and take the next two sets in dramatic fashion to lift Terenzio over Colautti.
Koning would go on to highlight a couple performances for ODU, “Great wins for Carlos and Dante out there today. As a senior, Dante is off to an awesome start, so we hope to keep that going.”
1. No. 30 Carlos Lopez Villa (ODU) d. No. 119 Zack McCourt (Princeton), 6-1, 6-4
2. Dante Terenzio (ODU) d. Thomas Colautti (Princeton) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Alexander Day (Princeton) d. Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU) 6-3, 6-5(7-4)
4. Joshua Yablon (Princeton) d. Jonas Kuwert (ODU) 6-2, 6-5 (7-5)
5. Augie Bloom (Princeton) d. Koen Wiggermans (ODU) 6-5(7-2), 6-2
6. Dan Davies (Princeton) d. Darragh Glavin (ODU) 6-4, 6-3
1. Zack McCourt/Alexander Day (Princeton) d. Jonas Kuwert/Koen Wiggermans (ODU), 6-1
2. Augie Bloom/Dan Davies (Princeton) d. Carlos Lopez Villa/Darragh Glavin (ODU), 6-4
3. Thomas Colautti/Ben Quazzo (Princeton) d. Dante Terenzio/Zvonimir Podvinski (ODU), 6-1
Next Up for the Tennis Monarchs
The Old Dominion University men’s tens team will be right back in action tomorrow, Sunday, February 2, when they will host the Retrievers from UMBC at 11:00 a.m. at the Folkes-Stevens Tennis Center.
Be sure to keep up with all the latest news regarding ODU Men’s Tennis on Facebook; as well as follow @ODUMensTennis on Twitter.