ODU hosts Hampton in the season opener on Saturday, Sept. 3 at 6 p.m.
• Old Dominion University begins its eighth season of football this year. The Monarchs are 57-27 all-time under head coach Bobby Wilder. ODU went 5-7 last season and is coming off its first losing season in school history.
• Of the 53 schools that have started football since 2008, Old Dominion has the fourth highest winning percentage, and the highest winning percentage among Division I teams.
• ODU running back Ray Lawry and linebacker TJ Ricks led Conference USA in rushing yards and tackles last season, respectively. Lawry rushed for 1136 yards and scored 12 touchdowns while Ricks set a school record with 123 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and an interception. He is the third leading returning tackler in the nation.
• Head Coach Bobby Wilder is the 14th longest tenured head coach in the FBS and the third longest in Conference USA. David Bailiff of Rice was hired one month before Wilder.
• ODU has 56 players that hail from the state of Virginia and 27 from Hampton Roads, led by 10 players from Virginia Beach and eight from Chesapeake. The Monarchs also have nine players from Richmond.
• The Monarchs return 17 starters from a season ago, nine on offense and eight on defense.
• Senior wide receiver Zach Pascal returns as the team’s leading receiver, recording 68 receptions for 970 yards and eight touchdowns. Pascal set the school record for single-season all-purpose yards with 1,549.