On September 13th, 2008, Old Dominion University officially opened the L.R. Hill Sports Complex, a 58,000 square foot facility that serves as the home for the Old Dominion field hockey and women's lacrosse programs.
Arguably one of the top field hockey facilities in the country, the first level houses a 6,000 square foot strength & conditioning area, a 3,000 square foot athletic training room, a players' lounge and locker rooms. The second level houses the coaches' offices and staff meeting rooms.
The L.R. Hill Sports Complex includes:
- 1,500 permanent seats, with room for an additional 1,500 temporary / expansion seats,
- "Astro Turf 90," the most preferred playing surface by collegiate and professional players and coaches,
- A "water cannon" watering system,
- The latest in technology for scoreboards, the press box and field lighting,
- Concessions and restrooms,
- Easy access and parking for field hockey games and athletic camps.
- Offices, locker rooms, athletic training and strength training areas,
- Two-story terrazzo entrance lobby, that includes display areas,
- Outdoor second level balcony, suitable for entertaining, overlooking the field hockey stadium,
- Over 6,000 square feet for strength training, that includes the latest in fitness and weight equipment,
- Over 3,000 square feet for athletic training.