Field Hockey Remains At No. 8
By ODU Athletics
Oct. 11, 2005
NORFOLK, Va. -- The Old Dominion field hockey team remains No. 8 in the country as the STX/NFHCA Poll was released on Tuesday morning. The Lady Monarchs (10-4 overall, 5-0 CAA) return to action in a pair of ACC games this week, traveling to Maryland on Friday and hosting Duke on Sunday.
Old Dominion won a pair of CAA contests last week and are in the midst of a seven-game win streak. The Lady Monarchs picked up their fourth shutout of the season with a 5-0 blanking of Virginia Commonwealth last Friday. Two-time CAA Player of the Week Janelle Engle (Mt. Joy, Pa.) scored a career-high eight four goals in leading the Lady Monarchs to victory. The team followed by downing defending CAA Champion Delaware, 6-2, last Sunday. Two-time CAA Rookie of the Week Denise Admiraal (Heiloo, Holland) picked up her first career hat trick and put away her second career game-winner.
The Lady Monarchs have already faced five of the country's top six teams in #2 Maryland, #3 Duke, #4 North Carolina, #5 American, and #6 Penn State. Other ranked opponents the Lady Monarchs have faced include #15 Michigan and #20 Virginia along with CAA foe, #16 James Madison. Old Dominion is still awaiting its match CAA newcomer #10 Northeastern (13-1), which will come on Friday, October 21st.
A total of three CAA teams are ranked this week, while Hofstra and William & Mary continue to receive votes.
In the national statistics also released on Tuesday, junior Caroline Nichols (Va. Beach, Va.) leads in the nation in total assists (14) and is tied in second for assists per game (1.00). Junior Dana Sensenig (Denver, Pa.) is also ranked in both categories, eighth in assists (10) and 15th in assists per game (0.71).
A trio of Lady Monarchs are ranked nationally in the points column. Sensenig ranks fifth in points (34) and seventh in points per game (2.43), senior Janelle Engle ranks ninth in points (29) and 15th in points per game (2.07), and freshman Denise Admirral ranks 12th in points (27) and 18th in points per game (1.93).
Additionally, the three are all tied for seventh in the nation in goals (12) and tenth in goals per game (0.86).
As a team, Old Dominion is second in the country in scoring offense and margin of victory. The Lady Monarchs are netting an average of 4.15 goals per game and hold an average of 2.67 points over their opponents.
STX/NFHCA DIVISION I POLL - WEEK FIVE:
Institution (record) Points Previous Week's Ranking
1. Wake Forest University (11-0) 540 (27) 1
2. University of Maryland (13-1) 512 2
3. Duke University (9-3) 461 3
4. University of North Carolina (10-2) 440 5
5. American University (11-0) 433 4
6. Penn State University (13-1) 413 6
7. Indiana University (11-1) 369 7
8. Old Dominion University (10-4) 366 8
9. Ohio State University (12-2) 325 9
10. Northeastern University (13-1) 281 11
11. University of Michigan (8-6) 245 14
12. University of Iowa (8-5) 243 12
13. University of Louisville (10-4) 198 13
14. University of Connecticut (9-4) 196 15
15. Michigan State University (8-6) 176 10
16. Boston College (7-4) 102 17
Tie. James Madison University (8-5) 102 18
18. Villanova University (11-3) 91 16
19. Boston University (9-3) 88 19
20. University of Virginia (8-5) 28 Not ranked
Also Receiving Votes: University of Richmond (25), Hofstra University (12), College of William & Mary (9), Northwestern University (5), Syracuse University (4), Ohio University (3), University of Pennsylvania (3).