Football Puts Up 47 Points in Second Half, Storms Past Duquesne, 57-23
Sept. 1, 2012
Post-Game Press Conference:
NORFOLK, Va. - The #8/6 Football Monarchs scored 47 second half points as Taylor Heinicke threw for a school record 492 yards and tossed four touchdowns to lead the Monarchs to a 57-23 victory over Duquesne in front of a sold out crowd Saturday night at Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium.
The Dukes took a 20-10 advantage at halftime but ODU stormed out of the locker room to open the second half with 17-straight points.
Angus Harper capped a 12-play, 69-yard drive with a two-yard score to cut the Duquesne lead to 20-17.
Charlie Leventry kicked an 18-yard field goal to cut the ODU lead to 27-23 but the Monarchs got a 75-yard catch and run touchdown from Heinicke to Mayers and two Tyree Lee touchdown runs to put the game away.
Defensively, the Monarchs were led by Erik Saylor with six tackles (1 solo, 5 assisted). Saylor also had a blocked PAT midway through the second quarter for the Monarchs' 24th blocked kick in its four-year history. Chris Burnette and Devon Simmons each had five stops in the win.
The Football Monarchs return to action on Saturday, September 8th at Hampton. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.
OPENING WITH A BANG - AND TYING A RECORD:
BLOCK THAT KICK:
UPDATE THE NUMBERS:
- Redshirt sophomore Angus Harper captured his first receiving touchdown to cut the ODU deficit to three, 20-17, with just over 10 minutes remaining in the third quarter. Harper had 23 catches for 182 yards last year, but no touchdown receptions. He did have a team-leading 10 rushing scores last year.
- Redshirt senior Nick Mayers posted his 15th career touchdown that gave the Monarchs back the lead, 27-20, with 1:35 left in the third quarter. He captured No 16 with his second score of the night giving ODU a 34-23 lead with 11:22 left in the game.
- Sophomore Tyree Lee punched in his third career touchdown that gave ODU a 41-23 edge with 9:40 left in the game and then his fourth with 6:04 left in the game to give the Monarchs a 50-23 advantage.
- Redshirt junior Jarod Brown improved to 27-36 all-time in field goals, making 51-yard and 31-yard attempts while missing a 31-yard attempt. Brown also improved to 103-107 in PATs.
- Freshman Harvey Taylor ran in his first career touchdown on ODU's final score of the night.
- Heinicke's 492 yards passes the previous high of 407 yards by Thomas DeMarco at Monmouth on September 25, 2010 and his previous high of 373 against Richmond back on November 5, 2011.
- Heinicke's 41 completions passes the previous high of 34 which he had set against Richmond on November 5, 2011.
- Heinicke's 63 attempts replaces the previous high of 57 attempts made by Thomas DeMarco against Cal Poly in 2010 and his own previous high of 47 against Richmond on November 5, 2011.
PUTTING UP THE POINTS:
MONARCHS MAKING A DEBUT:
FOREMAN FIELD NUMBERS: