#6/4 Football Monarchs Handle Campbell, 70-14
Sept. 15, 2012
Post-Game Press Conference:
NORFOLK, Va. - Taylor Heinicke threw for 486 yards and a school record seven touchdown passes to lead #6/4 Old Dominion to a 70-14 thrashing over Campbell Saturday night at Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium.
ODU stormed out to a fast start scoring 28 first quarter points as Heinicke was a part of all four touchdowns. Heinicke started the scoring on a 13-yard run and threw touchdown passes to Antonio Vaughan, Angus Harper and Blair Roberts for the 28 point lead.
Campbell got on the board to start the second quarter when Isaac Scott sacked Heinicke to force a fumble and Taurean Lynch returned it to the three yard line to set up a scoring run for Kurt Odom.
ODU added two more scores before the half, an 11-yard strike from Heinicke to Roberts and a Colby Goodwyn six-yard run. Sandwiched between the two scores was a 27-yard scamper from Dakota Wolf as ODU took a 49-14 halftime lead.
The Monarchs shutout Campbell in the second half and added four more scores as Roberts hit paydirt for a third time while Larry Pinkard, Tyree Lee and Nate Ong all scored. Roberts' trio of touchdowns were also a school record.
Heinicke was 21-of-29 on the night and also finished with 41 yards rushing. Harvey Taylor led ODU on the ground with 76 yards as the Monarchs ran the ball late. Goodwyn added 59 yards. Nick Mayers, Roberts and Lee all had four catches for ODU.
Wolf carried 22 times for 101 yards for the Camels and was 8-of-16 in the air for 56 yards.
Old Dominion improved to 3-0 on the year playing in its final non-conference contest before opening the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) portion of its schedule next weekend with New Hampshire.
The Monarch host the #18/18 New Hampshire Wildcats in the first-ever meeting between the two teams next Saturday at noon in front of the Comcast SportsNet cameras.
Game Captain: Nick Mayers
ANOTHER BEST IN THE BOOKS:
OPENING WITH A BANG:
By the end of the first quarter, Heinicke had passed for 197 yards and three touchdowns completing seven of nine passes and ran the ball five times for 36 yards and a touchdown
A TRIO OF A RECORD:
Most Points Scored in a Game:
BY THE QUARTERS:
ODU has outscored the opposition 45-0 in the first quarter, 55-0 in the third quarter, and 37-3 in the fourth quarter. The second quarter meanwhile has ODU opponents outscoring the Monarchs 41-35, which includes Campbell's two touchdowns Saturday.
UPDATING THE NUMBERS:
- Redshirt sophomore Antonio Vaughan's 37-yard touchdown reception of the second of the season and seventh of his career.
- Redshirt sophomore Angus Harper had his second receiving touchdown of the season on the Monarchs' third drive which needed just one play having the redshirt sophomore on an 84-yard TD reception. Harper entered the game with three catches for 10 yards, including a touchdown in the season opener with Duquesne.
- Sophomore Blair Roberts had a school record three touchdowns catches to up his total to four TD receptions on the year.
- Redshirt sophomore Larry Pinkard recorded his second touchdown of the year and 11th career TD reception to kick off second half action.
- Junior Colby Goodwyn had his second touchdown of the year and eighth of his career
- Sophomore Tyree Lee had his first touchdown reception of his career to push ODU's lead to 63-14. In the previous two outings, Lee had lead the rushing corps with three carries into the end zone.
- Redshirt senior Nate Ong scored his first Monarch touchdown on ODU's final score of the night.
DGB DOES IT AGAIN:
HMMMM, HMMMM GOOD: